- 1A pit containing poisonous snakes.More example sentences
- It is simply inevitable that in a snake pit with that many snakes one of them would be lucky or smart enough to have bitten you despite your resistance.
- 1.1A scene of vicious behavior or ruthless competition: the literary snake pits of New YorkMore example sentences
- It was, according to observers, a snakepit of feuding and backstabbing.
- Atkinson argues the law would force ‘creative thinkers’ to bite their tongue, and so produce a ‘veneer of tolerance concealing a snakepit of unaired and unchallenged views.’
- However, much debate is expected in the snakepit of EU politics before details of how much exactly will be allocated, and how it will be spent, is finalised.
- 1.2A place of overcrowded squalor, especially a poorly run mental hospital: the clinic opened in 1949, when most drug and alcohol sanitariums were still snake pits[ 1946: from the title of a novel by Mary Jane Ward]More example sentences
- As recently as 1946, Life magazine was exposing many of America's mental institutions as snakepits
More definitions of snake pitDefinition of snake pit in:
- The British & World English dictionary