Definition of snap-action in English:
1Denoting a switch or relay that makes and breaks contact rapidly, whatever the speed of the activating mechanism.
- When the gate switches between its two states, it does so abruptly, like a snap-action light switch.
- The snap-action switching element is operated via plungers which act on the outer limbs of the spring.
- With multiple options available for contact configurations, terminals and actuators, you can configure a Cherry miniature snap-action switch to fit nearly any size and electrical requirements.
2Denoting a gun whose hinged barrel is secured by a spring catch.
- The ejector is operated by the rotation of the joint-check, and allows the shells to be pressed clean home, if preferred. These guns, I understand, will be on the market in a short time, and I believe today no stronger fastening can be made on any snap-action gun.
noun(snap action) Back to top
The operation of a snap-action switch, relay, or gun.
- When the preset differential limit is reached, the valve closes with a ‘snap action’ for a tight seal.
- The snap action of the bimetal disc provides high-speed contact separation resulting in excellent life cycle characteristics at electrical loads up to 15 amps at 120VAC and 10 amps at 250VAC.
- This "safe" condition allows for a couple of tooling iterations of the latch, until the snap action is considered acceptable.
Definition of snap-action in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan