Definition of snapping turtle in English:
A large American freshwater turtle with a long neck and strong hooked jaws.
- Family Chelydridae: two North American species, the common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina) and the larger alligator snapping turtle (Macroclemys temminckii)
- The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.
- In their native habitat, predators such as large water snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles keep adult bullfrogs in check, while fish slurp tadpoles.
- Spanish moss trails from the branches of unfamiliar trees and the blunt noses of alligators appear through a duckweed-covered swamp that contains snapping turtles, blue gill perch and catfish.
Definition of snapping turtle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.