Definition of snapping turtle in English:
A large American freshwater turtle with a long neck and strong hooked jaws.
- Family Chelydridae: two North American species, the common snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina) and the larger alligator snapping turtle (Macroclemys temminckii)
- The marsh supports American toads, midland painted turtles, Blanding's turtles, snapping turtles, and Lake Erie water snakes.
- In their native habitat, predators such as large water snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles keep adult bullfrogs in check, while fish slurp tadpoles.
- Spanish moss trails from the branches of unfamiliar trees and the blunt noses of alligators appear through a duckweed-covered swamp that contains snapping turtles, blue gill perch and catfish.
Definition of snapping turtle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia