A yellow-flowered North American plant of the daisy family, with turned-back rays and a globular disk. Some kinds are toxic to grazing animals and some are used medicinally, especially by American Indians, in the treatment of colds.
- Genus Helenium, family Compositae: several species, including H. autumnale
More example sentences
- In September and October, purple hardy asters, backed with golden sneezeweed and ‘Taiyo’ sunflowers, create a dazzling picture.
- Some other wildflowers are white-flowered bog orchid, California grass-of-Parnassus, Sierra gentian, Plumas alpine aster, western sneezeweed, and the highly toxic western water hemlock.
- One vulnerable species, a plant called the Virginia sneezeweed, was known only from Virginia until a population was discovered in Missouri in 1960.
Definition of sneezeweed in:
- The British & World English dictionary