Definition of snipe eel in English:
A slender marine eel with a long, thin, beaklike snout, typically occurring in deep water.
- Family Nemichthyidae: several genera and species
- The presence of large numbers of zooplankton attracts their natural predators such as mictophids, jellyfish and snipe eels, which are often found in large abundance in the deep net tows.
- Only five true eels are known from the Gulf of Maine: the common eel, the slime eel, the conger, the snipe eel, and the snake eel, which fall into five different families according to American usage.
- These covered a wide range of species, with special emphasis on four species of hatchetfish, several stomiids, bigscales, snipe eels and gulper eels.
Definition of snipe eel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan