Definition of snowbird in English:
1North American informal A northerner who moves to a warmer southern state in the winter.
- The phrase ‘Québécois at the beach’ usually conjures up images of Quebec's snowbirds escaping winter for Florida's sunny shores.
- That would allow snowbirds and Southeastern race fans to spend three weeks in Florida, migrating from one track to the other.
- Sue all Northern Yankee States for forcing snowbirds to leave by criminal tacit encouragement of bad weather.
2A widespread and variable junco with gray or brown upper parts and a white belly.
- Junco hyemalis, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae). Alternative names: northern junco, dark-eyed junco, slate-colored junco
- On days with fresh snowfall, GC concentrations were higher in dark-eyed juncos than on days without fresh snow and fat reserves increased after these snows.
- Dominant dark-eyed juncos also obtained more food than subordinate juncos when food was clumped and the same amount of food when food was dispersed.
- Similarly, in male and female dark-eyed juncos, dominance was related to prior residency.
Definition of snowbird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan