Definition of snowy owl in English:
A large northern owl that breeds mainly in the Arctic tundra, the male being entirely white and the female having darker markings.
- Nyctea scandiaca, family Strigidae
- On the other hand, there is a rich community of specialist and generalist predators (arctic foxes, stoats, snowy owls, rough-legged hawks, gulls, jaegers and ravens), all of which feed on lemmings.
- During our study, pomarine jaegers and snowy owls nested only in the same years as Steller's eiders.
- In addition, snowy owls, rough-legged hawks, and stoats are also present and prey on lemmings but not on geese.
Definition of snowy owl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.