- The large-scale removal from an area of members of a social category regarded as undesirable: the demolition of large swathes of council housing smacks of social cleansingMore example sentences
- The regime engages in two major forms of repression - the selective persecution of political opponents and the social cleansing of powerless people.
- Unlike gentrification, social cleansing is always government-initiated.
- The director of Anchor House said comparing the shortage of affordable housing to social cleansing was "unhelpful and emotive".
More definitions of social cleansingDefinition of social cleansing in:
- The British & World English dictionary