1The use of centralized planning in an attempt to manage social change and regulate the future development and behavior of a society: the country’s unique blend of open economics, authoritarian politics, and social engineering
More example sentences
- Meaningful integration has always been a result of persistent social engineering.
- They were relying on social engineering to create and enforce the rules.
- In the gospels of social engineering this transformation was leading to a future Utopia of welfare capitalism.
2(In the context of information security) the use of deception to manipulate individuals into divulging confidential or personal information that may be used for fraudulent purposes: people with an online account should watch for phishing attacks and other forms of social engineering [as modifier]: he’s seen everything from the most devious hacks to the simplest social engineering scams
social engineer noun
- Example sentences
- If we believe in free markets, we should let them work without the distortions imposed by social engineers.
- They saw themselves as the social engineers of a New Europe.
- They've discovered that social engineers have a hard time turning down the opportunity to control things.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: so·cial en·gi·neer·ing
Definition of social engineering in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.