Definition of social gospel in English:
Christian faith practiced as a call not just to personal conversion but to social reform.
- They believed, as I believed for 30 years, that the social gospel of our Christian faith was best reflected politically in the policies of that party.
- The anti-slavery movement and Christian socialism, Roman Catholic social teaching and the Protestant social gospel have all combined to focus attention on the need to treat workers appropriately.
- Can the social gospel of the Catholic faith be boiled down to this one issue?
social gospeler noun
- Example sentences
- The crux of his argument is that the social ethics espoused by social gospellers, Christian realists and Catholic bishops are all rooted in liberalism and its belief in progress.
- Most Canadian social gospellers took World War One as one more part of the great crusade for reforming the world.
- He was an active social gospeller and advocate of temperance, and he became senior Protestant chaplain to the Canadian forces during WWI.
Definition of social gospel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.