- The realistic depiction in art of contemporary life, as a means of social or political comment.More example sentences
- In contrast to the themes of social realism and regional life that characterized American art of previous decades, these artists valued, above all, individuality and spontaneous improvisation.
- The novel seems influenced less by the naturalism or social realism that we typically associate with Wright and more by modernist aesthetic and thematic concerns.
- Sternberg eased into a more editorializing brand of social realism after touring Pennsylvania steel and coal towns while funded by a 1936 Guggenheim grant.
More definitions of social realismDefinition of social realism in:
- The British & World English dictionary