Definition of sociopath in English:
A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.
- Professor Kets de Vries says the world can neatly be divided into three distinct behavioural groups: sociopaths, psychopaths and what he calls ‘normopaths’, or excessively normal people.
- With the exception of sociopaths, who are expert liars, most people sound tense, their voices highly pitched, when they fib.
- No society has yet been able to free itself of sociopaths, extreme bigots, and aggressive personalities.
- Example sentences
- Some violent offenders are not sociopathic or psychopathic, yet probably about 20 percent of the prison population is diagnosable as being psychopathic.
- Jason Soon has an interesting post drawing attention to research suggesting a link between psychopathic and sociopathic personalities and abnormal brain development.
- Some individuals may well have a genetic propensity for aggression or for mental instability - or even for sociopathic behavior.
- Example sentences
- For example, prospectively matching alcoholic patients to cognitive behavioral therapy or interactional therapy based on levels of sociopathy and psychiatric severity was found to reduce negative consequences of drinking.
- But what's not clear is if this is pathological lying to an extreme, so that it indicates actually a character flaw, anti-social personality or sociopathy which is found in many criminals.
- If these defects lie in all of us, which of course they do to some extent, then looking at a more comprehensive list of symptoms for sociopathy and psychopathy might lead the way.
Words that rhyme with sociopathhomeopath • osteopath
Definition of sociopath in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.