1A simple hand puppet made from a sock.
- The company logged huge accolades for TV ads with its famous sock puppet.
- He has the emoting range of a sock puppet.
- "Waiting for Godot", according to the poster for a lunchtime show, will be "performed by sock puppets".
1.1A person whose actions are controlled by another: to this mix of industry sock puppets add a gullible media
More example sentences
- It's obvious you are a Gore sock puppet.
- These three are conservatives as opposed to Right Wing sock puppets.
- I've railed against the RIAA and MPAA and their congressional sock puppets in some of the cruelest language I've ever used in print.
2A false online identity, typically created by a person or group in order to promote their own opinions or views.
- Okay, so I ponied up for a sock puppet just to respond some more.
- His story combines a hot issue with intrigue, allegations of lying, internet sock puppets, and scientific misconduct.
- That's clearly Nick's sock puppet, being used to justify the existence of this thread.
sock puppetry noun
- Example sentences
- Recently, a senior editor got in trouble for some particularly colorful sock puppetry.
- Sock puppetry may be rampant online, but journalists writing for their employer's Web site have a greater responsibility to be honest than run-of-the-mill posters.
- The PR industry must condemn massive, automated sock-puppetry.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: sock pup·pet
Definition of sock puppet in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.