nounUS • informal
- 1A forceful blow.More example sentences
- His talent was delivering sockdolagers with his rifle butt.
- Get busy, fellows, and let them have something in return for these two sockdolagers.
- 2An exceptional person or thing.More example sentences
- Here was another sockdolager; for, when I began to think about it, I could not remember a thing in the Constitution that authorized it.
- Nothing would suit me better than to pull in some of the sockdolagers you'll find in that lake.
- A knock on the head with a stick stilled him, and I had one of the genuine "sockdolagers" of the Indian Lake as my captive.
mid 19th century: probably a fanciful formation from sock.
More definitions of sockdolagerDefinition of sockdolager in:
- The British & World English dictionary