A controlled landing of a spacecraft during which no serious damage is incurred.
- The Shuttle made a soft landing on the landing pad.
- Foton doesn't rely only on parachutes for its soft landing: there is also a retro-rocket system that ignites as the package nears the ground.
- After being fully decelerated by the atmosphere, the Hayabusa capsule is designed to deploy a parachute for a soft landing in June 2007, in, as it stands now, south Australia.
- Example sentences
- Twenty-five years ago, on July 20, 1976, NASA's Viking 1 lander soft-landed on the surface of Mars, becoming the first successful mission to land on the Red Planet, as well as the first successful American landing on another planet.
- The station successfully soft-landed on the Oceanus Procellarum, or ‘Ocean of Storms ‘on 3 February 1966.’
- The surface of Venus has been seen by a series of seven Soviet probes that soft-landed on Venus between 1985 and 1992.
Definition of soft landing in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.