Definition of soft focus in English:
Deliberate slight blurring or lack of definition in a photograph or movie.
- Hill took the opportunity to take a series of pictures of the men, where the blur of the image, created by the fibrous texture of the paper negative, soft focus and slight movement, gives a sense of life to the calotype.
- Delightfully conceived and beautifully shot; the camera pushing in closely with soft focus and colours a-blur, it captures Peter's carefree frame of mind perfectly.
- Nicholson manages to convey the simultaneous ubiquity and otherness of photography through a kind of painterly soft focus that, in its cunning blandness, anticipates Gerhard Richter and Chuck Close.
adjective(soft-focus) Back to top
1Characterized by or producing a lack of definition.
- The change is made more powerful by the way Lee shot the final scene: filtered with golden light and soft-focus lenses, a marked difference from the gritty cinematography constituting most of the film.
- We now see her face, enjoyed in close-up by the slightly soft-focus camera.
- Here are some tips for using soft-focus filters.
1.1Denoting a point of view or style of presentation that obscures or avoids sharp definition in order to be more widely acceptable: soft-focus, nonpolitical essays about American life
More example sentences
- Perhaps it is comforting to know that John Major's soft-focus view of Britain replete with warm beer and old maids cycling to church does exist somewhere.
- While Friends Reunited fosters a soft-focus view of school life, many of us remember the harsh reality.
- A Scot long domiciled in California, Fraser presents a skilled, soft-focus take on the traditions of Scots fiddle, and here brings his young protégé Haas' cello centre-stage.
Definition of soft focus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan