(also soft-shell turtle)
- A freshwater turtle with a flattened leathery shell, native to Asia, Africa, and North America.
More example sentences
- Family Trionychidae: several genera and many species, including the spiny soft-shelled turtle Apalone( or (Trionyx) spinifera) of North America
- Superficially, softshells can be distinguished by their dorsoventral compression, leathery shells, and elongate snout.
- Other turtles identified were softshell (Apalone sp.) and snapping turtles (Chelydra sp.).
- Additionally, we question whether it is possible for softshell turtles to reach the Hudson River via the Erie Canal from Oneida Lake in a span of four years.