Definition of softball in English:
1A modified form of baseball played on a smaller field with a larger ball, seven rather than nine innings, and underarm pitching. The game evolved during the late 19th century from a form of indoor baseball.
- The network will also cover baseball, softball, volleyball, lacrosse, hockey, wrestling, spring football and select high school football games.
- The games of Little League baseball and softball are played on six continents in more than 100 countries by millions of children.
- Action continues all weekend, culminating Sunday afternoon with the completion of athletics, along with baseball, softball and soccer.
1.1The ball used in the game of softball.
- We started on slow-pitch softballs, mashing them around to build our confidence.
- I thought about a lot more in that minute, too - freezing my tail off at barn-like arenas across Ontario, lobbing softballs towards home plate during practice, seeing her first goal tickle the twine on the soccer pitch.
- The wooden balls grasped by huge bronze talons are the size of softballs.
Definition of softball in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.