- 1.1With a gentle or slow movement: he touched her cheek softlyMore example sentences
- She reached up with her hand and cupped my cheek, pressing her palm softly against my face.
- My eyes clouded over, and I hit the cool tiled floor in slow motion, banging my head softly.
- The scarf gave way to a gentle tug, and the material slipped slowly and softly away.
- 1.2In a pleasantly subdued manner: the room was softly lit by a lampMore example sentences
- Along with the music playing softly inside the diner room, everything was perfect.
- The softly lit warmth of the interior walls were a welcome contrast to the dark slimy surfaces of the outside.
- As we passed a craggy knoll on to the south summit, it began to snow, very gently and softly.
More definitions of softlyDefinition of softly in:
- The British & World English dictionary