Definition of softwood in English:
1The wood from a conifer (such as pine, fir, or spruce) as distinguished from that of broadleaved trees.
- The two basic categories of wood used most often in woodworking projects are hardwood and softwood.
- It's not the best place to look for sawlogs, so we're trying to send the processor in first to make sawlogs where they can from both hardwood and softwood.
- All types of lumber, both hardwood and softwood, are sorted by quality during the milling process.
1.1A tree producing softwood.
- In the areas where, as a result of selecting other more valuable softwoods, fir was encouraged to increase, all practicable efforts should be made to reduce the amount of fir.
- PCP was widely used in the timber industry for years as a cheap treatment for sapstain, a fungal infection commonly found in softwoods such as pine.
- Plantations of introduced softwoods, particularly Radiata Pine, were established, often on abandoned agricultural land.
2(In gardening) young pliable growth on shrubs and other plants from which cuttings can be taken.
- Unlike softwood cuttings of deciduous plants, where you only take tip cuttings from the ends of the branches, that rule does not apply to hardwood cuttings of deciduous plants.
- Or you can root 4-to 6-inch softwood cuttings taken in summer and fall.
- While blueberries are propagated commercially by tissue culture, they can be propagated by hardwood or softwood cuttings.
Words that rhyme with softwoodpinewood • whitewood
Definition of softwood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.