- Self-styled; so-called: a soi-disant novelistMore example sentences
- In exquisitely-accented French he points out that none of the names on the list are remotely French: they must all be Anglo-Saxons (pronounced with dismissive contempt) who will try to put on soi-disant French accents.
- When I got to Telluride, I had hoped to find people as angry and ill-informed and passionate as I had been when I was a soi-disant freak, back during a time of bloody, frightening confrontation.
- I don't know whether to count this as one or two errors by the soi-disant ‘official’ proofreader of San Bloggio, but this time she has stuck her big toe in the light socket.
French, from soi 'oneself' + disant 'saying'.
More definitions of soi-disantDefinition of soi-disant in:
- The British & World English dictionary