(also solan goose)
- The northern gannet. See gannet ( sense 1).More example sentences
- Known locally as solan geese, gannets are Britain's biggest seabird, having a wingspan of up to six feet.
- The main body of the solan geese build on the West Craigs, although a number build also on the Main Craigs; while the guillemots and razorbills seem to confine themselves to the West.
- The wildlife includes otters, seals, salmon and trout and well over 200 different species of birds such as red-throated divers, corncrake, solan geese and a few pairs of golden eagles.
late Middle English: probably from Old Norse súla 'gannet' + and- 'duck'.
More definitions of solanDefinition of solan in:
- The British & World English dictionary