- A poisonous compound that is present in green potatoes and in related plants. It is a steroid glycoside of the saponin group.More example sentences
- For example, potatoes contain solanine, mushrooms have strychnine, apples and apricots have cyanide.
- The fat-soluble neurotoxins solanine and chaconine are present in potatoes and can be detected in the bloodstream of all potato eaters.
- The ripe potato contains traces of solanine but its flowers, green leaves and sprouts contain higher levels of this toxin and are very poisonous.
mid 19th century: from French, from the genus name Solanum + -ine4.
More definitions of solanineDefinition of solanine in:
- The British & World English dictionary