Definition of solder in English:
A low-melting alloy, especially one based on lead and tin or (for higher temperatures) on brass or silver, used for joining less fusible metals.
- In the past, copper pipes were joined with lead based solder which is currently banned from usage.
- The key replacement for tin/lead solder is a tin/silver/copper alloy available exclusively from Japan.
- The most important use of tin in the United States is the manufacture of solder, an alloy made of tin and lead.
verb[with object] Back to top
Join with solder.
- These joining methods may include welding, brazing, soldering, riveting, or bolting.
- Applying the soldering iron to the wires where they are soldered to the Centronics connector and pulling gently should be enough to undo the wires from the unwanted connector.
- Cut a small sliver of the silver solder for each joint to be soldered.
- Example sentences
- Beryllium-copper alloys are solderable with standard fluxes and, if care is taken to preserve the properties achieved by heat treatment can be joined by nominal brazing and many fusion welding processes.
- Magnesium, titanium, zirconium, niobium, tantalum, molybdenum and tungsten may be soldered if they are plated with a solderable metal coating such as silver.
- In yet another application, we supply a solderable surface finish for printed circuit boards.
- Example sentences
- This will reduce the demand for some welders, solderers, and brazers because many repetitive jobs are being automated.
- He was employed between 1995 and 2004 as a solderer and was exposed to rosin based solder fumes during his career.
- Welders and solderers also repair broken or cracked metal parts.
Words that rhyme with solderIsolde
Definition of solder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.