Definition of soldier fly in English:
A bright metallic fly with a flattened body, frequently basking in the sun with its wings folded flat over the body.
- Family Stratiomyidae: many genera
- Odontomyia hydrolean is part of the soldier fly family and was first reported in Britain in 1829 but disappeared soon after.
- Other flies found on the poultry establishment include soldier flies, small dung flies, fruit flies and rat-tailed maggots.
- During World War II, the black soldier fly spread into Europe, India, Asia and even Australia.
Definition of soldier fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.