Definition of soldier fly in English:
A bright metallic fly with a flattened body, frequently basking in the sun with its wings folded flat over the body.
- Family Stratiomyidae: many genera
- Odontomyia hydrolean is part of the soldier fly family and was first reported in Britain in 1829 but disappeared soon after.
- Other flies found on the poultry establishment include soldier flies, small dung flies, fruit flies and rat-tailed maggots.
- During World War II, the black soldier fly spread into Europe, India, Asia and even Australia.
Definition of soldier fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan