noun (plural same or soldierfishes)
A squirrelfish that is typically bright red in color.
- Several genera and species in the family Holocentridae
More example sentences
- Fifteen minutes southeast of Boracay, Crocodile Island has a reef where divers can explore many small channels harbouring squirrelfish, soldierfish, cardinalfish and various wrasse.
- Richelieu also features numerous ledges, crevices and small caverns, providing shelter for squirrelfish, soldierfish, copper sweepers, and over twelve species of moray eels, including the rare golden moray.
- The predominant species are similar to those outside the lagoon at Mafia Island, a variety of bigeye, soldierfish, snapper and trevally, with more solitary wrasse, parrotfish, butterflyfish and small grouper closer to the reef.
Definition of soldierfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary