Definition of solid state in English:
The state of matter in which materials are not fluid but retain their boundaries without support, the atoms or molecules occupying fixed positions with respect to one another and unable to move freely.
- For example, there is solid state, condensed matter, low temperature, and laser physics, which have immediate applications in electronics and optics.
- Symposia will focus on pharmaceutical and medicinal chemistry, solid state and material science, and chemistry in homeland defense and terrorism.
- Several studies since have claimed to show that melanins in the condensed solid state are indeed semiconductors.
adjective(solid-state) Back to top
(Of a device) making use of the electronic properties of solid semiconductors (as opposed to electron tubes).
- A couple of advantages these CD based players have is they're either cheaper than hard drive based players, or they hold more than solid state players.
- UK-based Memix Direct has begun shipping its USB Memory Watch - a wristwatch with a built-in keychain-style USB solid state hard drive.
- And he has thrown down a challenge to all the industry's chip and PC makers to realise his vision of computers capable of storing more than a million times more data than current solid state chips.
Definition of solid state in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan