Definition of solitude in English:
1The state or situation of being alone: she savored her few hours of freedom and solitude
More example sentences
- It tells us that God is, in a sense, a community of persons, not a solitary living in solitude, alone and distant.
- As increasing numbers of people choose to live or work alone, solitude is often celebrated in 2001.
- As someone whose self reposes on a great slab of solitude, such a situation would drive me nuts.
1.1A lonely or uninhabited place.
- It is still a disparate monstrosity, full of solitudes & barrens & wilds.
- There are still, as on the first days of creation, rivers whose founts never run dry, green and watery solitudes, and limitless fields never yet turned by the ploughshare.
- In these eight chapters we are shown that Bristol and its hinterland existed as two solitudes - wary of one another and keeping each other at arm's length.