verb[with object] technical
Make (a substance) soluble or more soluble.
- The lipid films were solubilized in Tris / HCl solution.
- The amphiphatic character of the detergent molecules helps solubilize the membrane protein.
- The acidity solubilizes metals, most notably aluminum, making them bio-available.
- Example sentences
- Research on surfactants and membrane solubilization showed that anionic surfactants interact more with lipid bilayers.
- It is highly relevant to compare these results to NMR data on solubilization of small aromatic molecules in alkylglycoside micelles.
- The most-important chemical effects of the air pollution are acidification of soil and fresh water, which in turn causes a solubilization of toxic metals.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of solubilize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.