Definition of soluble in English:
1(Of a substance) able to be dissolved, especially in water: the poison is soluble in alcohol
More example sentences
- The respiratory gases exchange freely across the membrane, because oxygen and carbon dioxide are soluble in lipid.
- For example inorganic salts are generally soluble in water but not in organic solvents.
- Unlike silver nitrate, silver chloride is not soluble in water, but it seemed more promising.
2(Of a problem) able to be solved.
- Not all problems are soluble, not all risks can be hedged at acceptable cost.
- By providing methods of determining which problems are soluble, Kleene's work led to the study of which functions can be computed.
- The problem is easily soluble - get the oil hotter and the batter thinner.
- Example sentences
- When exposed to light, the photoresist undergoes a chemical change that alters its solubility in a certain solvent.
- Gum arabic is unique among the natural gums because of its extreme solubility in water and its lack of taste.
- The solubility of a gas in another substance is expressed as the volume of gas which dissolves in the substance under stated conditions of temperature and pressure.