- 1A means of solving a problem or dealing with a difficult situation: there are no easy solutions to financial and marital problemsMore example sentences
- The promotion of the article page was simply a short-term solution to a difficult situation.
- The decision to divest the business has not been an easy one to make but it is the only solution to a difficult and unsustainable situation.
- The easiest solution to this situation is to address the issue right in the beginning during the initial audition.
- 1.1The correct answer to a puzzle: the solution to this month’s crosswordMore example sentences
- No one likes having to try every object on every other one, because there's some obscure combination that will reward you with the solution to the puzzle.
- For each of the eight vignettes, Sarah pointed most often to the photograph that depicted the correct solution.
- An update to last week's prisoner switcheroo puzzle: the solution has been posted, and to be honest I'm disappointed.
- 1.2 (solutions) Products or services designed to meet a particular need: we are an Internet marketing firm specializing in e-commerce solutionsMore example sentences
- Rockwell Collins is at the forefront of developing secure, next-generation GPS solutions.
- The foundation is also active in supporting nonprofit groups that work on issues ranging from gay equality to mass transit solutions to handgun control.
- It is very unlikely that a mass-market internet service provider in the US could fund such a move by ad-supported solutions alone.
- 2A liquid mixture in which the minor component (the solute) is uniformly distributed within the major component (the solvent).More example sentences
- Some escapes as carbon dioxide from water solutions and returns to the atmosphere.
- Unlike common air, fixed air turned lime water (a solution of calcium hydroxide) cloudy.
- Since soap and detergents are salts, they separate into their component ions in a solution of water.
- 2.1The process or state of being dissolved in a solvent.More example sentences
- Typically the host molecules are dissolved in solution or, alternatively, are confined to a membrane plane.
- Metals usually make positive ions when the compounds are dissolved in solution.
- This seminar is vital to all scientists who need to characterize polymers or biopolymers in solution.
- 3 • archaic The action of separating or breaking down; dissolution: the solution of British supremacy in South AfricaMore example sentences
- I began to be aware of a change in the temper of my thoughts, a greater boldness, a contempt of danger, a solution of the bonds of obligation.
late Middle English: from Old French, from Latin solutio(n-), from solvere 'loosen' (see solve).