A category to which people are assigned according to the extent to which their bodily physique conforms to a basic type (usually endomorphic, mesomorphic, or ectomorphic).
More example sentences
- There are three widely accepted physique categories called somatotypes: endomorph, ectomorph and mesomorph.
- Likewise, knowing your somatotype won't carry you much further than ‘I struggle to gain weight,’ ‘I get fat easily,’ or ‘I can't complain.’
- Boys were matched to another of similar age, social background, temperament, and biological somatotype, then randomly assigned either to the program or to the control group.
1940s: coined by W. H. Sheldon in Varieties of Human Physique.
- More example sentences
- In other somatotyping literature we find a wide variety of use being made of Sheldon's formulations.
- Rather, he called his system body-typing, not somatotyping, and he did not use Sheldon's terms.
- He unleashed a science referred to as somatotyping which attempts to categorize people by their genetic body types.
Definition of somatotype in:
- The British & World English dictionary