- 1(Of a machine, system, or technique) developed to a high degree of complexity: highly sophisticated computer systemsMore example sentences
- There would also be a vital need to control access to computer systems that were being used to develop sophisticated machines.
- It's a new departure for politics in this country as political parties adopt the sophisticated marketing techniques of advertising to sell their brands to the widest possible audience.
- In Edinburgh we had a sophisticated marketing system to work out who the audience was.
- 1.1(Of a person or their thoughts, reactions, and understanding) aware of and able to interpret complex issues; subtle: discussion and reflection are necessary for a sophisticated response to a textMore example sentences
- In this sense, it suggested a sophisticated enemy, well aware of how modern wars are fought.
- Senior citizens are among the most sophisticated people on this issue because they pay for drugs out of pocket.
- But Goloku's teachings also carried a more subtle and sophisticated thought, under the simple morality of the precept.
- 1.2Having, revealing, or proceeding from a great deal of worldly experience and knowledge of fashion and culture: a chic, sophisticated woman a young man with sophisticated tastesMore example sentences
- They hadn't gone to college, and they saw Father Mark as a repository of knowledge and culture and sophisticated humor.
- In Memphis, he has an experience that makes him realize that he is not as sophisticated or worldly as he thought: he meets a boy by chance on the road, and they come upon a jug of bootleg alcohol.
- Readers of this blog are, by definition, sophisticated and worldly-wise individuals who know full well that major film studios do not read unsolicited screenplays.
- 1.3Appealing to people with worldly knowledge or experience: a sophisticated restaurantMore example sentences
- But most of all, people come here to eat. springing up on every corner are sophisticated restaurants serving exquisite food.
- The low-ad loading and sophisticated playlist were hugely appealing, but it just wasn't a great money-spinner.
- His philosophy is a simple, yet sophisticated restaurant with no clutter - somewhere to enjoy his food at a reasonable price.
- More example sentences
- And they will simply be wrong, but sophisticatedly so.
- And is it, unless it's sophisticatedly explained by the other side to counter, is it the kind of issue that could win him the election?
- The film uses a satirical approach, not so much to criticise, but more to sophisticatedly ignore socialist realism.