1Leaven for making bread, consisting of fermenting dough, typically that left over from a previous batch.
- Bread dough is made with high-protein flour, leavened with yeast or sourdough, and kneaded with water to develop the gluten, yielding a characteristic spongy appearance and chewy texture.
- Also an organic farm, it produces cheddar cheese from its own chemical-tree milk, and makes sourdough bread from organically grown grain, leavened with natural sourdough.
- They make their bread with sourdough because they have no baking powder.
1.1Bread made using sourdough leaven.
- Creamy St Marcellin from a proper cheesemonger is the stuff to ooze over a slice of crisply toasted sourdough.
- Even sourdough, rye and pumpernickel are often actually colored and flavored white-flour breads.
- If your loaf is a true San Francisco-style sourdough then all the better.
2North American historical An experienced prospector in the western US or Canada; an old-timer.
- It is a land of sourdoughs and cheechacos - the first, the veridical Alaskans, who sport gruff beards, wear carhartts, and fed the yeast in their dough (hence their names) straight since the gold rush of 1907.
- His paintings preserved the traditions and activities of the Eskimos, the sourdoughs and the dogsleds of Alaska's ‘romantic period’ between the gold rush and the oil boom.
- Eielson, located in the middle of the state in a flat expanse of land surrounded by mountains, offers a lot of extremes that can make life a bit trying at times, even for sourdoughs who've lived there for decades.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of sourdough in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.