(also sour gum)
- A tupelo of eastern North America, with dark bark that has a deeply checkered pattern. Its bitter blue fruits are eaten by black bears and numerous species of birds. Also called black gum, black tupelo, pepperidge.
More example sentences
- Nyssa sylvatica, family Nyssaceae
- Other major tree species are white oak, chestnut oak, red oak, hickory, maple, Virginia pine, sourgum, and sassafras.
- The blackgum, often call sourgum, has been considered a weed in the forest due to the low value of the lumber in Ohio.
- The plants are protected by a high canopy of hickories, oaks, poplars and sourgums.