Definition of South Carolina in English:
A state in the southeastern US, on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean; population 4,479,800 (est. 2008); capital, Columbia; statehood, May 23, 1788 (8). The region was permanently settled by the English from 1663. Separated from North Carolina in 1729, it became one of the original thirteen states. In 1860, it was the first state to secede from the Union, precipitating the Civil War.
- South Caroliniannoun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Local and national health advocacy and policy groups have sponsored a survey showing that a majority of South Carolinian voters support drug treatment over prison.
- As a South Carolinian by birth, I've developed a bit of allergy to this sort of thing from long exposure.
- In the south, a South Carolinian expedition destroyed the Spanish city of St Augustine, Florida, in 1702 and a retaliatory French attack on Charleston was repulsed.
Words that rhyme with South Carolinaangina, assigner, china, consignor, decliner, definer, Dinah, diner, diviner, forty-niner, hardliner, incliner, Indo-China, liner, maligner, Medina, miner, minor, mynah, recliner, refiner, Regina, Salina, Shekinah, shiner, signer, Steiner, twiner, whiner
Definition of South Carolina in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.