Definition of southwesterly in English:
Another term for southwest.
- The county is currently enjoying a warm spell, brought on by light south-westerly winds, which has even prompted some people to go back into their summer wardrobe.
- The South, the West Country and the Midlands bore the brunt of the weather, but the rain - driven by gale-force south-westerly winds - caused river levels in Yorkshire to rise rapidly.
- The best time to dive here is when the wind blows offshore, but steer clear when the swell of south or south-westerly winds is running onto the beach, because it makes it difficult to get in and out of the water.
nounBack to top
another term for southwester.
- Southerly flow into the monsoon is a continuation of the south-easterly trades of the southern hemisphere, except that they are deflected to the right by the Coriolis force in the northern hemisphere to become south-westerlies.
- The Thai players from various provinces fought off some strong challenges from a big contingent of European entries, as well as rain storms, intense heat and strong south-westerlies - all in the day's play.
- Ireland has a maritime climate with mild winters and warm summers thanks to prevailing south-westerlies and the Gulf Stream.
Definition of southwesterly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.