Definition of southwesterly in English:
Another term for southwest.
- The county is currently enjoying a warm spell, brought on by light south-westerly winds, which has even prompted some people to go back into their summer wardrobe.
- The South, the West Country and the Midlands bore the brunt of the weather, but the rain - driven by gale-force south-westerly winds - caused river levels in Yorkshire to rise rapidly.
- The best time to dive here is when the wind blows offshore, but steer clear when the swell of south or south-westerly winds is running onto the beach, because it makes it difficult to get in and out of the water.
nounBack to top
another term for southwester.
- Southerly flow into the monsoon is a continuation of the south-easterly trades of the southern hemisphere, except that they are deflected to the right by the Coriolis force in the northern hemisphere to become south-westerlies.
- The Thai players from various provinces fought off some strong challenges from a big contingent of European entries, as well as rain storms, intense heat and strong south-westerlies - all in the day's play.
- Ireland has a maritime climate with mild winters and warm summers thanks to prevailing south-westerlies and the Gulf Stream.
Definition of southwesterly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan