1A mineral spring considered to have health-giving properties.
- Karlovy Vary is a spa town famous for its mineral waters and their medicinal qualities.
- Restoration hopes for a spa town's premier listed building are sinking following claims that it is likely to miss out on vital funding from the Government's regeneration agency.
- Head into the wooded foothills to Badenweiler, a spa town with that mix of classical gentility, raffishness and effusive horticulture that marks the better thermal spots.
1.1A place or resort with a mineral spring.
- Some of the most rapidly growing towns in the mid-nineteenth century were the very antithesis of industrial centres: these were the seaside resorts, fashionable spas, and tourist attractions, such as Rome.
- Many of the hostages, especially children, were sent to Black Sea spas and resorts with their families.
- Velingrad is a well-known spa and climatic resort in south Bulgaria.
1.2A commercial establishment offering health and beauty treatment through such means as steam baths, exercise equipment, and massage.
- Many health clubs, sports centres, beauty clinics, complementary therapy centres and health spas now offer aromatherapy massage.
- A tepidarium, rapid tanning room, hairdressing salon, spa and beauty treatment rooms complete the picture.
- High end beauty spas and massage places are getting coach loads of visitors every day and karaoke bars are doing a roaring trade.
1.3A bath or small pool containing hot aerated water.
- The largest of the four bedrooms has a wide bay window, mirrored wardrobes and an en suite bathroom complete with a Jacuzzi spa bath.
- Hope and Karen were reclining recently in the spa pool at the gym, relaxing in the warm water, an environment conducive to making sudden leaps of insight.
- He was hoisted into a spa bath with the jets turned on and bubble bath added to five inches of water.
Early 17th century: from Spa.
Words that rhyme with spaaargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
For editors and proofreaders
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of spa in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.