- A fish of the sea bream family (Sparidae), whose members are marine and have deep bodies with long spiny dorsal fins.More example sentences
- The diet of the lemon shark, Negaprion brevirostris, collected from the Bahamas, is dominated by inner neritic fish, like sparids, lutjanids and gerreids.
- According to Domain, the sparid community is composed of species with a preference for cold waters.
- We used the two satellite DNA families of the sparid species for phylogenetic inference of the group.
1960s: from modern Latin Sparidae (plural), via Latin from Greek sparos 'sea bream'.
More definitions of sparidDefinition of sparid in:
- The British & World English dictionary