Definition of sparring partner in English:
1A boxer employed to engage in sparring with another as training.
- Sergio still wasn't as much of a fighter as should would have hoped for in a sparring partner, but he did manage to make things more interesting with his jabs and jokes.
- Dennis Walker, her coach and trainer since she started, often tells her to use her greatest advantage - speed - instead of standing toe-to-toe with her sparring partners.
- Right now, it seems to me that you think of other people as sparring partners, partners in crime, or players in a game that you call ‘being honest.’
1.1A person with whom one continually argues or contends.
- Deedes is magnanimous to his old sparring partner, deemed by some accounts to be ‘a successful novelist but a failed newspaper reporter’.
- Their chemistry and timing is always spot-on, and they are completely convincing not only as verbal sparring partners but also as a married couple.
- If you're as cynical about marriage as I am, you're probably already aware how easily matrimonial bliss can deteriorate over time into a hideously spiteful and distrustful union of two diametrically opposed sparring partners.
Definition of sparring partner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia