Definition of sparrow in English:
1A small finchlike Old World bird related to the weaverbirds, typically with brown and gray plumage.
- Family Passeridae (or Ploceidae): four genera, in particular Passer, and many species, e.g., the cosmopolitan house sparrow (P. domesticus)
- With a beat of her tiny brown wings, the sparrow was on her way.
- Smaller birds such as pigeons, thrushes, jackdaws, robins and sparrows would also have been seen on a regular basis.
- While we don't have tall trees, our neighbors do, and the firs and oaks that surround our property drop acorns and provide homes for jays, woodpeckers, robins and sparrows.
Old English spearwa, of Germanic origin.
Words that rhyme with sparrowarrow, barrow, farrow, harrow, Jarrow, marrow, narrow, taro, tarot, Varro, yarrow
Definition of sparrow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.