Definition of spastic in English:
- Here the symptoms were epileptic seizures, spastic movements, dance-like twitching, and formication.
- Typically, clients experiencing spastic paralysis are only able to use the involved limb in a limited manner because they lack the motor control needed for most activities.
- He has cerebral palsy affecting his whole body with spastic, continuous purposeless movements.
nounBack to top
Spastic has been used in medical senses since the 18th century and is still a neutral term for conditions like spastic colon or spastic paraplegia. In the 1970s and 1980s, spastic, usually used as a noun, became a term of abuse and was directed toward anyone regarded as incompetent or physically uncoordinated. Nowadays, this latter use of spastic, whether as a noun or as an adjective, is likely to cause offense, and it is preferable to use phrasing such as person with cerebral palsy instead of the noun spastic.
- Example sentences
- Overactive bladder is a condition in which the muscle surrounding the bladder contracts spastically causing frequent urination or incontinence.
- Social Dancing is so spastically uneven and nerve-wracking; so full of jittery caffeine beats and saccharin melodies that I find it impossible not to love every infantile moment about it.
- I saw Kayla and Andrew dancing spastically in the middle of the room.
- Example sentences
- Although we based the study around spasticity, we also wanted to capture any treatment effects among the other important symptoms described by people with MS.
- A new type of drug treatment is showing promise in children with moderate to severe spasticity.
- Her daughter suffers from bi-lateral spasticity, a form of cerebral palsy which Miller believes was induced by toxins accumulating in her breast milk.
Definition of spastic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.