Definition of speaker in English:
1A person who speaks.
- This has the effect of distancing the speaker from the hearer.
- The closeness between the two speakers gave their following conversation a clandestine air.
- The underlying system of rules also enables the hearer to understand what the speaker said.
1.1A person who delivers a speech or lecture.
- In a majority of the lectures, speakers focused on the historical circumstances of photography that have led to its current state.
- Guest speakers include David Ledsham, lecturer in art and design at the University of Ulster, and John Wood from Goldsmiths College in London.
- In 1962 he was a guest speaker at Cambridge's University Indian Society.
1.2 [usually with modifier or in combination] A person who speaks a specified language: he is a fluent English and French speaker
More example sentences
- What marks a proficient second or foreign language speaker is their command of idioms and other fixed expressions.
- The intermarriage of Bantu language speakers with the Khoe and San peoples gave rise to new varieties of languages such as Xhosa.
- A native Marathi speaker, Bal keeps a bound volume of Ramdas open on his table.
2 (Speaker) The presiding officer in a legislative assembly, especially the House of Representatives.
- President Delaney, the Speaker of the House, and a bevy of civilian and military officials sat silently as the count slowly approached zero.
- Russell is a policy analyst for the Office of the Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives.
- Three years later he became the first Speaker of the new House of Assembly and held that position until he retired in October 1880.
3 short for loudspeaker. a cassette player with two speakers
More example sentences
- Lightning Audio produces amplifiers, speakers, subwoofers and accessories for mobile audio markets.
- Creative sells a set of stereo speakers with no subwoofer that you can find online for about $15.
- It includes a DVD player, a receiver, five surround speakers, and a subwoofer.
Words that rhyme with speakerbeaker, Costa Rica, Dominica, eureka, Frederica, Griqua, jobseeker, leaker, loudspeaker, seeker, shrieker, sika, sneaker, squeaker, streaker, Tanganyika, theca, tikka, Topeka, wreaker
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.