- The formation of new and distinct species in the course of evolution.More example sentences
- Many of us think of evolution as speciation, but populations of insects evolved resistance without budding into new species.
- We are the product of a process of speciation, competition, and ecological change.
- The creation of a new species is known as speciation.
- More example sentences
- Theory predicts that in rapidly speciating taxa gene genealogies will vary between loci.
- The organisms were identified and speciated based on colony morphology and biochemical reactions.
- Certain animals can speciate in under 10 millennia.
Pronunciation: /ˈspēSHēˌāt, spēsē-/verb
More definitions of speciationDefinition of speciation in:
- The British & World English dictionary