Definition of speciation in English:
The formation of new and distinct species in the course of evolution.
- Many of us think of evolution as speciation, but populations of insects evolved resistance without budding into new species.
- We are the product of a process of speciation, competition, and ecological change.
- The creation of a new species is known as speciation.
- Example sentences
- Theory predicts that in rapidly speciating taxa gene genealogies will vary between loci.
- The organisms were identified and speciated based on colony morphology and biochemical reactions.
- Certain animals can speciate in under 10 millennia.
Pronunciation: /ˈspēSHēˌāt/ /spēsē-/verb
Definition of speciation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.