- A group of people sharing a common language or dialect.More example sentences
- Copying can be exact: members of a speech community can share identical phonological representations.
- We can all be categorised into a speech community by way of language, professional idiolect, local or acquired dialect, accent or habitual usage.
- Research on language acquisition tells us that all normal children acquire the language of their speech community effortlessly and flawlessly.
More definitions of speech communityDefinition of speech community in:
- The British & World English dictionary