Definition of speed skating in English:
A form of ice skating in which competitors race against each other, typically around an oval track.
- Short track speed skating is a sport that has enjoyed recent notoriety as one of the more exciting and controversial events of the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.
- It was there that speed skating became a major competitive sport.
- Short track speed skating is the most unpredictable of all the Winter Olympic sports where falls come fast and furious.
- Example sentences
- This is the deepest tuck used by serious speed skaters, and probably a bit extreme for the new fitness skater.
- He was a medal-winning speed skater as a teenager but gave that up to go to art school.
- The scientists divided the athletes into two groups: sprinters, which included speed skaters, and endurance athletes, such as marathon runners and rowers.
Definition of speed skating in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan