- An old kind of wheat with bearded ears and spikelets that each contain two narrow grains, not widely grown but favored as a health food. Compare with einkorn, emmer.
More example sentences
- Triticum spelta, family Gramineae
- Soybeans, corn, wheat and spelt are the focus, along with some dry beans, a little oats, and assorted cover crops.
- Little of the wheat or spelt in New York made baking quality; farmers just couldn't get into the sodden fields to harvest before the grain sprouted.
- For those who cannot tolerate the gluten in spelt and wheat, there are gluten-free options.
late Old English, from Old Saxon spelta. The word was rare until the 16th century, when it was readopted from Middle Dutch.