An American plant whose flowers bear long hairy stamens.
- Genus Tradescantia, family Commelinaceae: several species, including the blue-flowered North American T. virginiana, from which many cultivars have been derived
More example sentences
- When summer-flowering perennials such as bellflowers, geraniums, lychnis, Shasta daisies, and spiderworts finish blooming and start to look tattered, cut back their stems to the rosette of new foliage at the base of the plants.
- Spring-blooming wildflowers are the broad-leaved spiderwort, downy yellow violet, and hairy phlox.
- Tropical spiderwort, inconsequential for seven decades, has recently spread in alarming proportions in fields in Georgia, Florida and North Carolina.
More definitions of spiderwortDefinition of spiderwort in:
- The British & World English dictionary