Definition of spinach in English:
- Spinacia oleracea, family Chenopodiaceae
- The spinach has gone bright green and almost melted into the hot sauce.
- Add the spinach leaves, simmer for 5 min, scatter with coriander and serve with rice.
- Blend spinach and ricotta or cottage cheese in a blender or work together through a sieve.
- Example sentences
- Scallops came with a tiny pulp of Good King Henry (a spinachy local herb) and also ginger and green-tea foam.
- This is a nice version: more spinachy and less viscous than most, with a pungent kick of Parmesan and lots of thin tortilla chips for dipping.
- The cream of spinach soup was sleek, subtle and full of spinachy goodness.
Persian aspanak is the ultimate source of the word. It passed from Persian into Arabic and then into Latin. From there it took various forms in many European languages, and probably came into English via French or possibly Dutch.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.